.

Spiritgeek.com LogoTagline: ...where Life and Spirit become One!

Zeitgeist
...the spirit of the age...

September 01, 2009

Premier Issue

In this Issue


Welcome to Spiritgeek's Zeitgeist

First off, welcome to the premier of Spiritgeek's Zeitgeist Newsletter.

The Zeitgeist Newsletter is going to bring you ideas and information that you can use in your daily life to become "...where Life and Spirit become One!™" as our tagline says.

Zeitgeist is German and basically means "the spirit of the age." I think of our times as a period of transition, from often short-sighted and egocentric use of "organized" religion to the rebirth of what religion was intended to be, the rejoining of creation with the creator.

Depending on the way you measure the change of the ages, the Age of Aquarius is due to begin in just over 140 years. This new age is supposed to bring the spiritual awakening and growth of mankind.

Sadly, I suspect that it will not be an easy transition. The current age, Piscean, has manifested as one of ego, power consolidation, greed and control. I don't suspect the systems that exist are going to just give up and go quietly into the darkness of antiquity.

Fortunately, spirituality is not dependent on organized religion, but it is not anathema to it either. So many differing sources express Spirit that I do not think one will ever be able to discuss, little less study, them all.

The highest form is to find and express Spirituality from within; that is where it counts. Public shows are fine for impressing others, but for personal growth, you must find it within.

So, once again, welcome to Spiritgeekís Zeitgeist Newsletter! If you have content you would like to pass along or to submit your own content, a question or comment on this newsletter, please send it to: editorial@spiritgeek.com or go to the online version of the Zeitgeist Newsletter.

A Thought for Your Practice

One of my teachers, Paramahansa Yogananda, wrote that we think that we get angry at others, but the truth is that what we think of as anger is actually just the reaction of fear, the fear that some wish or want of ours is about to be thwarted.

We think we are angry about the kid screaming in the market, are we not really upset that our peace has been disturbed? When we get angry at the guy who just cut you off on the freeway, are actually annoyed that he just took the place you wanted and/or deserved?

As with most things in life, the best way to learn about them is to be aware of them. So here is a little homework assignment:

Whenever you find yourself angry about something, take a moment and actually look into it and see what it is you really are annoyed with. I have been doing this for ages and have never been able to honestly find something "out there" that I was really angry at, it was always something in me.

Joy: a key to Divinity

I recently wrote on Facebook the following questions:

What if God & Spirit are just names for that which can appreciate the joy in ALL things? What would separate us from God, our lack of willingness to see the joy?

In the Christian home I was raised in, I was taught that God was omnipotent and omnipresent, VERY big words for a young kid at the time. I didn't really understand what they meant and later I was also told that God could not be in the presence of sin.

That last one made me think since we have several examples in the Bible of that being less than accurate, talking to Adam after the "fruit" incident, the Devil making an appearance in heaven and the two having a conversation that led to poor Job's difficulties.

Later, when I learned what those big words meant, I couldn't help but wonder how I could possibly talk to God if I was the terrible sinner that I was brought up believing I was. Quite the little conundrum I had going...

When I became aware that God was the embodiment of love and joy and that all the others were man made miseries, I started to look for the joy in life and found that when I was willing, everything was joy.

When you take joy and acceptance out of the equation, you end up with judgment which means that you are devaluing that as less than this. You have laid the foundation for something to be percieved as less than joyful.

When you discern the purpose of anything, it can do nothing but bring you joy. I'll give you a quick example...

My dad and I have always had a somewhat tumultuous relationship and those who have heard me discuss it tend to immediately go into the "I'm so sorry's." Not that I could possibly have appreciated it at the time, but it was ALL of those less than joyous moments and behaviors that led me to begin the path that made me the person I have become.

Now I look back upon those moments, and though I sometimes have my resentments, they are usually replaced with a silent prayer of thanks for playing that character so well in the drama of my life.

Quotations

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Dr. Seuss

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.

Mother Theresa

Wander around in public and look into the faces of those you pass. What do you see? Wouldn't it be nice if the majority of people looked happy? What does that tell you about the majority? It tells me most are quite obviously looking in the wrong places for their happiness.

Spiritgeek

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

.